Each year a new focus and perspective is developed within the presentation of our exhibits. The long-term loan of the “Schmirler Collection” continues to be maintained yearly along with the museum mandate of collecting, preserving and exhibiting artifacts for the public thus continuing the “Biggar” story told through the historical materials within our collection. Upon the completion of cataloguing and exhibiting each collection for exhibit; staff and volunteers continue to research existing and external data for the purpose of translating the stories “behind the exhibits”. Biggar Museum and Gallery encourages and accepts donations of artifacts, archival material, ephemera, memorabilia and other items that reflect and further the purpose, mission, and charter of the Biggar Museum and Gallery. Artifacts are approved by the collections committee and must correspond to the Biggar Museum and Gallery’s collections policy. We continue to provide appropriate conservation, safe and secure storage, and timely recording, recognition and management of collections in the museum’s ownership and/or care. Board, staff and volunteers continue to accept new artifacts which are accessioned in a timely manner. Volunteers continue to be trained in archival documentation and care, the recording of the pioneer interviews and the research of our ancestors for the revival of the historic walk.
Our newest display! In collaboration with the Fire Chief and the rest of the Volunteer Fire-Fighters a new display has been created! These volunteers have been saving the Town of Biggar and all its citizens since 1910! Here in the Biggar Museum we honour these men and women.
Most CNR stations had a cafe open 24 hours, 7 days a week. Biggar's "The Beanery" was run by locals for the CN employees and the locals to use. Many a cup of coffee was ordered from the Beanery 'Queen' in the early hours to those on their way from from a dance. CN employees purchased their "Pie Books", coming straight off their pay cheques. One 50 cent coupon could get them "Graveyard Stew", a local name for a bowl of bread and hot milk!
This quiet, yet cozy section allows visitors access to pictorial documents and various historical books pertaining to Biggar and its surrounding area. Also featured is a replica of the Hanson Buck; a world record Whitetail.
The Theatre Exhibit reconstructs the Biggar Majestic Theatre as it was before 1929. In this exhibit you may have a seat and listen to the original player piano that accompanied the silent movies from 1914 to 1930 and watch a movie with our new theatre system.
On Main Street in Biggar, Luxton's Men and Women's Wear was the place to buy the latest fashions. Luxton's Millinery had all the latest hats for the ladies, for any occasion!
One of our newer exhibits is a little more controversial as it takes a look into the history of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) in Biggar. Take some time to read up on how the KKK came to Biggar and learn about the KKK in Saskatchewan as well.
Roger Martin taught in Harris and in Biggar. He is also remembered by the museum he opened on his property: a general store, a house, a schoolroom and a church. For his history students,he collected dolls and then sewed outfits for each doll. The dolls depicted important people in history. It must have been great fun to be in Mr. Martin's class!
Featuring Lee Wong Chong's Laundry, our newest exhibit displays the difficult and often poor living conditions for the Chinese population that settled in Saskatchewan around 1880. A deep and dark history of the discrimination, misconception, and isolation that the Chinese Immigrants went through is demonstrated throughout this remarkable exhibit.